Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Travelling Around OZ - project number one" Insanity"

This is the first of three project I've taken with me to keep me busy while travelling around Australia (OZ) This quilt for a very good reason is called "Insanity" there are 10,339 hexagons which I have pre-cut and are ready to be sewn together by hand.


I was given the pattern and instructions from a quilting friend who is doing the same quilt at our quilting group, it was originally published in the Australian Patchwork and Quilting magazine, Volume 16 No 6. Below is my attempt so far " Yes this is Insanity".


Yesterday, Monday we moved on from Sampson Point which was an ideal stopover to explore the Central Pilbara Coast. The town of Karratha which is home to the North West Shelf Project(Gas Plant)amazing place to see.


From the town of Roebourne we drove the 27kms on a dirt road to Harding Dam,


which has some dramatic scenery with the red Pilbara rocks contrasting vividly with the deep blue/green of the dam water.


Then we travelled to the abandoned town Cossack which was home to the North West's first established pearling industry, but due to the over fishing of the pearling grounds the pearling fleet moved to Broome, the town was then abandoned, it is now a popular tourist destination with many of the heritage building restored.


Below is my favourite picture so far its my DH in Coral Bay on the beach, he isn't hold a coin its the full noon. I love this photo.



We are staying near Port Hedland at Cooke Point.


Until next time Happy quilting
Anne


2 comments:

  1. Dh looks great in that photo..
    Will we get to see Insanity come home finished!
    P/w girls said hi and have a great trip. Kerry is back.
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really looks like you are out on the edge of the world there, Anne! Great photos.

    I love how organized you are with all your fabric squares! I hope they will last the whole trip...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...