Thursday, January 19, 2023

Seagulls Paradise quilt

This quilt is a fun and happy quilt called "Seagull Paradise" by SuzysSitcom.com. This BOM started on the 24th Dec 2020. I am late in starting mine but I will get it done, my quilt will not be the same but the plan is to make my own interpretation of this quilt by changing some of the elements on some of the blocks.

Gifted to my great-grandson Hunter in May 2022.

This quilt has a bunch of adorable of silly seagulls set in a nautical-themed setting and I fell in love with their quirkiness. I choose to applique mine using the fusible webbing method, originally the quilt measured 52" inches by 68" inches, but I plan to make mine bigger and modify blocks and add more blocks and sashings. 

To Make the background landscape or seascapes for some of the blocks I tried the following technique using scraps from my fabric stash.

Using a rotary cutter, I freehand cut a curve through both overlapping layers of background fabric making sure that both fabrics were facing right side up and overlapping, cut a slightly curvy gentle line about 1 inch into this overlap of both fabrics. The most important thing is to remember not to make the curve too deep or it will be hard to piece the two curves together.

How to sew the curves together.

Turn the piece of fabric over onto the other fabric so they are right sides together, and align the curves to the top edges. Sew the pieces of fabric together very slowly, stopping to adjust frequently sewing a straight line all at the same time. It's important to remember not to pull or stretch the fabrics just let the feed dogs do the work. Make sure to hold the top fabric in my left hand and a-lining the bottom fabric with my right against the 1/4 inch guide to sew the curve. A tip I followed if I thought I was going to sew a pleat, was to stop, lift the presser foot with the needle down, re-arrange the fabric, presser food down, and slowly keep sewing. I found that the key to success was to follow the golden rule and go slowly. Trim to the correct size and start appliqueing. This process of making your own background fabric out of your fabric stash was very interesting and I will use it again. Loved the result.





Quilted using Q-bot on my longarm.




This is a very cute block love the pelican and my favorite.







Happy Quilting Until next time
Anne




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...